HISTORIA DE LA PARROQUIA DE ST. AGNES
La presencia católica en la zona de Shepherdstown se remonta a mediados del siglo XVIII. Durante la segunda mitad del siglo XVIII se creó una "iglesia tapiada"se construyó en una parcela de cuatro acres en una colina en el extremo oeste de la ciudad con una vista "buena vista del río y de la ciudad" donde en 1795 el padre Denis Cahill de Hagerstown celebró misa. Esa iglesia desapareció hace mucho tiempo. También en 1795 Abraham Shepherd escrituró un acre y medio a los fideicomisarios de la "Iglesia romana y cementerio." El cementerio adyacente a la entrada de la Rt 45 a la Universidad Shepherd es también el lugar de una fosa común de trabajadores irlandeses del Canal C&O que murieron de cólera en 1833 y fueron enterrados por la noche.
Hasta 1820, Shepherdstown formó parte de la archidiócesis de Baltimore, la diócesis más antigua de Estados Unidos. En 1820 pasó a formar parte de la recién creada diócesis de Richmond, VA. En 1822, Shepherdstown figura como una de las siete iglesias católicas de la diócesis de Richmond en el estado de Virginia, que en aquella época incluía toda Virginia Occidental.
Desde finales de 18th siglo XX.th En el siglo XVIII, se tiene constancia de la visita de sacerdotes del circuito, primero de Frederick y Hagerstown y más tarde de Harpers Ferry y Charles Town, que se detenían en las casas de los católicos por el camino. En 1830 se nombró un párroco residente en Harpers Ferry y Martinsburg que celebraba misa en Shepherdstown el 5 de mayo de 1830.th domingo del mes. En algún momento de la década de 1880, la comunidad católica adquirió una propiedad en la esquina de las calles Washington e Church.
Bishop Augustine Van de Vyver of Richmond officiated at the consecration of the new St. Agnes Church on Sunday, June 7, 1891. At its dedication the parish numbered “80 souls.” The church was named after St. Agnes of Rome who was martyred for her faith in 305 AD and also to honor Miss Agnes Gibson [1853-1941], parishioner, organist, choir director, Sunday school teacher and church fundraiser, who worked tirelessly to make this church building a reality. George Hodges, a wealthy merchant and operator of a general store at the corner of German and Princess Streets, was also influential in the church’s construction. Two church stained glass windows memorialize the Hodges family. A descendent was the late Bishop Joseph Howard Hodges, First Bishop of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston
In 1974, the Eastern Panhandle became part of the newly formed Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston. At that time the number of Catholic students at Shepherd College (now Shepherd University) was increasing and the Trinitarian Fathers from Charles Town were engaged in a ministry to them. By the summer of 1980 the number of parish families had increased to around 120 (225+ people) and the first resident pastor and campus minister, Fr. Robert Judge, SJ was appointed.

Iglesia católica de Santa Inés
During the 1980’s and 90’s the population in the Eastern Panhandle and at St. Agnes continued to grow. In the summer of 1993, Fr. T. Mathew Rowgh became the pastor. In 2001 the parish began a lengthy planning process for the construction of a new church which is located at the intersection of Duke and New Streets.
La nueva iglesia de Santa Inés, que ya contaba con 350 familias, fue dedicado el 20 de julio de 2008, and the former church was renamed the St. Agnes Chapel. Since then the parish has continued to grow and now numbers around 550 families. The present St. Agnes Church is designed in the shape of a mandorla. It is a “liminal space.” The early Christians described this as the space between the divine and the human, between heaven and earth.
Catholics compose less than 5% of the population of West Virginia. Our parishioners come from diverse regions and backgrounds. We strive to be a welcoming, faith filled community that reaches out in service to our neighbors.