Bishop Augustine Van de Vyver of Richmond officiated at the consecration of the new St. Agnes Church on Sunday, June 7, 1891. At its dedication the parish numbered “80 souls.” The church was named after St. Agnes of Rome who was martyred for her faith in 305 AD and also to honor Miss Agnes Gibson [1853-1941], parishioner, organist, choir director, Sunday school teacher and church fundraiser, who worked tirelessly to make this church building a reality. George Hodges, a wealthy merchant and operator of a general store at the corner of German and Princess Streets, was also influential in the church’s construction. Two church stained glass windows memorialize the Hodges family. A descendent was the late Bishop Joseph Howard Hodges, First Bishop of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston
In 1974, the Eastern Panhandle became part of the newly formed Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston. At that time the number of Catholic students at Shepherd College (now Shepherd University) was increasing and the Trinitarian Fathers from Charles Town were engaged in a ministry to them. By the summer of 1980 the number of parish families had increased to around 120 (225+ people) and the first resident pastor and campus minister, Fr. Robert Judge, SJ was appointed.